Summer 2013

Summer 2013

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Wanna trade?

So, today, my mama came to visit... and she brought freshly-picked blueberries with her... YUmmmm!  It only made sense to then have some brunch & buttered coffee :0)
Buttered coffee would be a twist on bulletproof coffee, I guess. Bulletproof coffee is the addition of grassfed butter and MCTs (mono chair triglycerides), or coconut oil to coffee.  If it sounds wacky, just remember - creamer is butter, after all!  Well, butter plus a whole buncha other crud.  

My mama typically puts lots of creamer (hello, artificial sugars and sweeteners), and sugar in her already-fake-flavored coffee (as I used to, as well).  Today, she sampled my daily hot drink: Nutribullet-ed coffee + grassfed butter + coconut sugar.  Yes, she liked it :)

In exchange for the fresh blueberries, I gave my mama a large jar of my homemade detergent.  (Ok, so I'd have given it to her, anyway, without the blueberries...)  

I've been using this laundry soap recipe for about a year and a half, now, and have no plans to ever go back to regular, store-bought detergent:  http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html  
These are the ingredients needed to make nearly 2 gallons' worth of this dry, homemade laundry soap (you can find the specific amounts at the link, above).  This recipe lasts our family several months.
The benefits of homemade laundry soap are:  
*It's much healthier, gentle and non-irritating, which makes it great for those with sensitive skin.  Two of our kiddos will have eczema flares with exposure to artificials like perfumes, dyes, and fragarances. Their skin is happy, happy with this recipe.
 *It truly cleans clothes better, as the ingredients are actually cleaning the clothes, by pulling out stain and odor - rather than just covering it up with artificial fragarances, etc. It actually has great stain-fighting ability - it has pulled the grass stains out of our Little Leager's baseball pants time and time again.
*It's cheaper!  Plus, you don't have to lug around any bottles or boxes of laundry from the store, anymore :)

I think I made a good trade!




No comments:

Post a Comment